You know that to maintain optimal oral health you should see the dentist at least once every six months. Outside of this, you should also see your dentist should any worrying symptoms develop that could indicate a potential problem. There are a number of reasons to see a dentist, from persistent toothaches to unexplained jaw pain.
Reasons to See a Dentist
- Tooth sensitivity and/or toothaches: When your teeth hurt this could be the result of injury or even a sinus infection. However, other causes of tooth pain or sensitivity may include a dental cavity or possibly an infection. If you notice any discomfort in or around your tooth we suggest seeing a dentist for a thorough exam and diagnosis.
- Sore jaw: If you notice soreness in your jaw, or difficulty opening and closing your mouth, you may need to see the dentist. TMJ disorder and bruxism can both lead to soreness in the jaw and serious complications if ignored. The doctor can examine your jaw to see if you need treatment for either of these issues.
- Chronic headaches: Along with a sore jaw, persistent headaches can also be an indicator of jaw joint strain, such as caused by TMJ disorder, or teeth grinding (bruxism). As we mentioned above, the doctor can diagnose the cause of your discomfort and if he discovers TMJ issues to bruxism, recommend the appropriate treatments.
- Missing teeth: Even if you lose a single tooth, don’t delay treatment. Over time tooth loss can lead to misalignment, problems eating and speaking clearly, and if you lose multiple teeth you could even develop and older appearance due to facial collapse.
- Damaged teeth: If you chip or break a tooth always schedule a visit. A damaged tooth exposes the sensitive inner structure to harmful bacteria, increasing the risk of cavities and infection.
ABOUT YOUR WINNETKA DENTIST:
Dr. Brent Engelberg and his highly-skilled team proudly serve patients and their families from Arlington Heights, IL, and all surrounding communities, including; Northbrook, Deerfield, Highland Park, Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Vernon Hills, Lincolnshire, Libertyville, Skokie, Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Rolling Meadows, and the Northern and Northwest Chicago Suburbs. To learn more, schedule a consultation online, or call our office today at 847-259-6988.